Welcome to the Innovative Course-building Group. Our first session is this Friday – 2pm at Digital Bridges, downtown. We will use this session to learn about you and set the context for this series of workshops. I’ve included some details and important information about these workshops below.
Please complete the TPI (Before Friday 2 pm)
As something new, we’d like you to complete a formative assessment at the beginning and end of the workshop series. We will be using the Teaching Perspectives Inventory.
Before Friday, please:
1. Complete the inventory (http://teachingperspectives.com/html/tpi_frames.htm)
2. Bring your results with you. We will use these as a platform for our discussion.
Meet the mentors
As a part of IC-bG you will have lots of access to support of other faculty members like you. The IC-bG mentors are people who’ve been through the workshops and are staying involved with IC-bG by acting as mentors and helping with planning and facilitation. Each of the workshops will be facilitated by two or more mentors. We won’t all be at every session but you will get a chance to work with most of us throughout the year. The mentors and their email addresses are listed below. Feel free to contact any one of us.
- Amy Kelley, firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Caralyn Zehnder, email@example.com>
- Catrena Lisse, firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Chavonda Mills, email@example.com>
- Julia Metzker, firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Gregg Kaufman, email@example.com>
- Heidi Fowler, firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Joanne Previts, email@example.com>
- Karynne Kleine, firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Kelly Manning, email@example.com>
- Kimberly Cossey, firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Laurie Huffman, email@example.com>
- Liz Speelman, firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Rebecca Carte, Rebecca.Carte@gcsu.edu>
- Sandra Godwin, email@example.com>
- Shannon Morris, firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Susan Steele, email@example.com>
- Valerie Aranda, firstname.lastname@example.org>
The Workshops – Dates on Google Calendar
Let me (Kim) know if you’d like to be added to the Google Calendar
The primary goal of the workshops is to guide you through the tenets of a backward design. You will be working on a course (or module) that is germane to you and that you will be able to implement. In addition, we have planned our time so you will come away with activities, assessments or other ideas that you can put into practice right away – not to mention a peer group that you can rely on for stimulating conversations about teaching and learning!
The workshop topics and dates are listed below with the facilitators. If you can’t attend a workshop, please let the facilitator know so they can provide you with materials or any other important nuggets of information.
September 23 Introduction – Julia Metzker & Karynne Kleine
October 28 Course Goals – Laurie Huffman & Gregg Kaufman
November 18 Course Activities & Assignments – Sandra Godwin & Shannon Morris
January 27 Building Assessment Strategies That Work for You – Kelly Manning & Chavonda Mills
February 24 Designing an Effective Course Syllabus – Heidi Fowler & Caralyn Zehnder
March 23 Present Draft of Course for Feedback – All IC-bG mentors
April 20 Final Presentation and Social
All workshops start at 2pm. We will gather at 1:30 for snacks/conversation.
We will use our blog (https://icbg.wordpress.com) to facilitate discussion in between meetings. We will also post announcements and other related items here. Soon, you will receive an invitation via email to make an account at wordpress, so you too can post to the blog. Please let Julia Metzker know if you have any difficulties accessing the blog.